When it’s time for a new water heater, energy efficiency is usually near the top of many people’s wish lists in Birmingham. A tankless water heater is a great route for saving energy. In fact, a tankless water heater is 8–34 percent more energy efficient than a storage water heater, according to energy.gov.
Unlike traditional tank heaters that heat gallons of water and store it for usage, tankless water heaters use gas burners or electric coils to heat water on an as-needed basis, which could save you a lot on energy expenses. Since the heated water isn’t stored for use at a later time, you won’t be paying for standby energy losses like you can with tank heaters. You’ll also benefit from having a continuous supply of hot water. They are smaller in size, energy-efficient in design and low-cost to operate.
When you turn on a hot water tap, cold water goes through the unit where either a gas burner or an electric element is going to heat it. Then it goes to the tap, where you get hot water. One thing about tankless water heaters—especially for bigger homes—is that the flow rate of hot water may not be large enough to take on a handful of uses at once. One of our professionals will help you determine what your flow rate is and provide recommendations based on their analysis.
Some people decide to install a separate tankless water heater that’s picked for a specific appliance, like the dishwasher or the clothes washer—or as a booster for a solar water heating system. However, many houses in the Birmingham area do alright with a single tankless water heater. Let’s look at some of the bonuses of getting one:
- Most tankless water heaters have a lifecycle of 20 years—that’s about twice as long as the lifetime of a regular tank heater.
- Most tankless units have a federal tax rebate.
- Tankless water heaters almost never run out of hot water.
- You get improved energy efficiency with a tankless water heater because they are more efficient minus standby heat loss and only use the power necessary to heat the amount of water needed at any time.
- Tankless models need much less space than traditional tank water heaters. They can even be put on the walls and some can be put in small cupboards or closets. Smaller units can be added under cabinets or in a closet, closer to the point of use.
With tankless water heaters, you eliminate the chance of flooding due to a ruptured tank. Call Norrell Service Experts today if you want an ENERGY STAR® rated, tankless hot water heater put in your Birmingham home. It’s a great energy-efficient choice for your home. We carry quality tankless hot water heater choices, expertise and expert service—for all your tankless water heater needs. Give our team a call at 205-267-0023
or request an appointment with us online.