One of the most common issues that we come acress at Norrell Service Experts in Birmingham is dusty air filters. They can seem like a very tiny piece of the overall home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us maintain comfort is a lot bigger than most homeowners realize. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a filthy air filter can cause a number of problems for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you neglect to swap out your air filter? Here are a just a few of the side effects you could encounter:
- Reduced airflow. This is easily the biggest problem you’ll recognize when your home’s air filter is badly clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being swapped out, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this hinders air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working significantly harder to provide you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is working harder due to a clogged air filter, you also run the chance of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s running overtime to give you cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a probability if your air filter goes neglected for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something gives out or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off more than it should. When your system short cycles, it can overheat or break down from the added work, which could end up causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A diminished equipment lifecycle
- Decreased energy efficiency
- Lower air quality
- Greater dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last changed your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to avert any likely damage that may come with a filthy air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the variety of air filters available, give Norrell Service Experts a call at 205-267-0023 or schedule an appointment online.