Each year over 20,000 people go to the emergency room due to carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is given off by gas ranges, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and boilers so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the winter months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep you safe, Norrell Service Experts is here with a couple tips to safety heat your home.
- Put in a CO detector on all floors of your home and change the batteries annually.
- Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, a minimum of three feet away from fireplaces, furnaces, stoves, or space heaters.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, make sure you check to verify the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Turn off space heaters and make sure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be situated on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like concrete or tile. Keep kids and animals away from space heaters.
- When investing in a new space heater, invest in a model that turns off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Do not use a oven to heat your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally checked and cleaned annually.
The ultimate thing you can do for your furnace is to make sure it’s not only all set to keep your family warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your fall tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Norrell Service Experts will check to ensure your heating system is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 205-267-0023 today and learn how you can save on a fall tune-up through November 25th.