When bad weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair professional to check your system post-storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your prep were worth the time.
At Norrell Service Experts, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time likely will not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets thrown around during severe weather. Just make sure you have turned the system totally off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a protected place so that they don’t get thrown around during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to head outside, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Norrell Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Birmingham, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other issues that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for bad weather in Birmingham or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with Norrell Service Experts through our online scheduler.