Colder months in Birmingham are here. In fact, the months of October through February have a track record of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances taking place throughout those months. To understand the safety of your home, schedule an annual furnace service now, before the cold of winter is here.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners recognize that their furnace could give off deadly carbon monoxide gas, but over half don't do anything to stop it from happening.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be very harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be confused for the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that uses fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the opportunity to give off carbon monoxide if the system is not running properly or if it wasn’t installed the right way.
Your annual furnace service company can help find any troubling issues. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Make sure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Look for any other weird things that may compromise your safety
- Help you find any additional areas where you may want to think about adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is operating at its peak efficiency, helping give you peace-of-mind that you’re in a good spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to keep in mind that many furnace manufacturers might require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the experts at Norrell Service Experts can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 205-267-0023 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the colder months.