Spring is beautiful for more than a few reasons: flowers are blossoming, you can crack windows for outdoor air and your power bill is generally at its cheapest. That’s because you’re not using your heater or air conditioner.
But as temps begin to rise, so do your energy charges. Here are some suggestions for saving energy in Birmingham and keeping payments down.
1. Schedule Annual AC Maintenance
Giving your air conditioning system a yearly maintenance visit can help it work more efficiently and trim costs. Changing out your air filter will help keep energy bills less expensive.
If your air conditioning equipment has seen better days, spring is a great time to update it. The energy-saving features in updated cooling systems is a huge benefit for keeping your power expenses down.
2. Turn to Your Thermostat
There’s a simple way you can save up to 10% on HVAC bills. Just set your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Figuring out how to efficiently work your thermostat is the easiest way to reduce energy costs in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re in the house. Consider it this way, the smaller the difference between outdoor temperatures and interior temperatures, the lower your home comfort expense will be.
- When you’re out and about, set the thermostat to a significantly higher temperature or turn it off. You shouldn’t have to cool an empty residence.
3. Experiment with Other Approaches to Cool Your Space
You can take advantage of a few other methods to help keep your house comfortable:
- Use a ceiling fan—By starting a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no reduction in comfort. Have your fan spin counterclockwise when it’s warm out, which pushes cool air upward. This moves cool air more uniformly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds closed—Sunlight quickly converts to heat as it comes through windows. Keep your house more comfortable by closing blinds and curtains when you’re not staying in sunny areas.
4. Look Into Using a Smart Thermostat
You’re out and about and abruptly realize you forgot to turn up the thermostat. Then you stew about it the entire day!
Smart thermostats pick up on your routine and change the temp when you’re not around to help you save on your bills. You can also adjust the thermostat from anywhere with your phone.
These expert ideas will all help keep summer energy costs less expensive. If you think it’s time to modernize your thermostat or need AC installation, give our team a call at 205-267-0023 or contact us online. We’ll help you figure out the right solution for your space. And like always, all our services are endorsed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.