Spring is beautiful for many reasons: flowers bloom, you can open windows for fresh air and your power bill is generally at its cheapest. That’s because you’re not using your heater or air conditioner.
But as mercury begins to climb, so do your energy charges. Here are some suggestions for saving energy in Birmingham and keeping payments down.
1. Book Annual AC Maintenance
Giving your AC system a yearly maintenance visit can help it work more efficiently and cut down costs. Changing out your air filter will help keep utility bills less expensive.
If your air conditioning equipment has had better days, spring is a great time to upgrade it. The energy-saving technology in updated cooling systems is a big plus in keeping your power expenses down.
2. Turn to Your Thermostat
There’s a straightforward way you can save up to 10% on HVAC bills. Just set your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours each day.
Focusing on how to efficiently use your thermostat is the easiest way to reduce energy costs in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re in the house. Think of it this way, the less significant the difference between outside temperatures and interior temperatures, the lower your home comfort cost will be.
- When you’re out and about, set the thermostat to a significantly higher temperature or shut it off. You shouldn’t have to cool an empty residence.
3. Experiment with Other Approaches to Cool Your Space
You can try a few other methods to help keep your residence cool:
- Use a ceiling fan—By starting a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no loss in comfort. Have your fan spin counterclockwise when it’s warm out, which forces cool air upward. This moves cool air more uniformly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds drawn—Sunlight quickly converts to heat as it comes through windows. Keep your residence cooler by closing blinds and curtains when you’re not staying in sunny rooms.
4. Look Into Using a Smart Thermostat
You’re out and about and abruptly realize you neglected to turn up the thermostat. Then you worry about it the entire day!
Smart thermostats learn your schedule and correct the temp when you’re not around to help you save on your bills. You can also adjust the thermostat from anywhere with your phone.
These expert tips will all help keep summer energy costs less expensive. If you conclude it’s time to modernize your thermostat or need AC installation, give our team a call at 205-267-0023 or contact us online. We’ll help you figure out the best solution for your space. And like always, all our services are endorsed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.